Thursday, April 11, 2019

Reinvigorating my Passion


I grew up knowing I wanted to be a teacher. It has always been my passion. Teaching, however, is typically a thankless job with a high burnout rate due to low pay, high stress, and lack of respect. I have been witness to this burnout and felt twinges of it in myself. 



While I was teaching in New York, I certainly felt a lack of respect as a professional. I had a master’s degree and was constantly watched and questioned as though I had no idea what I was doing. It was because of this feeling that I decided to change pace and join Peace Corps, but continue teaching.

Over the past two years, even though I was teaching and even though I loved most things about what I was doing, I was teaching the same things every day, which can be difficult for anyone. I was teaching letter names and letter sounds, which is kindergarten level in the states. I have never had a desire to teach kindergarten and I commend those who do (same goes for middle school and high school teachers).  



When I decided to extend my Peace Corps service, I knew I wanted a change of pace. And when I decided to spend my third year at a special education school, I was reinvigorated with the possibilities and challenges that I knew I would encounter. I knew I would no longer be just focusing on literacy, but on all aspects of the school and classroom: projects, math, science, health, living skills and so much more.  I was looking forward to my extension for a long time.



Now that I have finished one fourth of my extension year, I can say that it has already been so much more than what I wanted and expected. Every day is unpredictable, but in the best way. I sometimes get scratched or bit by children, but in the moment where that same student who bit me smiles at me, I feel so much joy and love. There are days that I find myself holding back tears of joy at the little steps of progress in the teachers and students.  



Seeing a student who rarely talks in class say even a few lines during the end of term celebration in front of students and parents or seeing a class of children light up and call my name when I walk in the room makes me so happy and fulfilled. Working with people with disabilities is not for everyone and there are days that are so hard, but the rewards are even more incredible. 




I am also constantly in awe of all the teachers and staff at my school. They are all so open to new ideas and my suggestions. Teacher training for special education is limited in Samoa so these teachers take in all that they can. Even though I am younger than all of them, they still respect my experience and knowledge and accept any and all help that I give them. In exchange, I constantly learn from them about how Samoa can progress in terms of inclusive education (and improve my Samoan language skills). I cannot wait to see how the next three terms go and how things change for the students, teachers, staff, and me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment