Friday, December 13, 2019

Lasts

(Disclaimer: I do intend on visiting Sāmoa in the future, I just don’t know when.)



Since coming to Sāmoa, I have had so many first experiences. Now, as my time comes to an end, I find myself reminiscing and thinking “this will be the last time I do this.”





With the measles epidemic affecting Sāmoa, this has been a weird ending to my Peace Corps service. I had anticipated that a lot of my goodbyes and lasts would be condensed, but instead, they have been occurring over the past month. I had my last day with my students a month ago. Two weeks later, I had my last day with my teachers. Last week, I took my last trip to Savai’i and said goodbye to the people there. I took my last bus ride earlier this week and went into a store in Sāmoa for the last time. I had my last time in the Peace Corps office. I had my last night in my house. And finally, my last night in Sāmoa.

A lot of people have been asking me how I feel about leaving and I don’t always know how to answer. I have such a range of emotions going on. I am sad about leaving all of my friends and family in Sāmoa. Anxious about what I’ve left behind and what the future holds. But I’m also excited to move on to the next chapter of my life (and go to Bali!). I could never accurately describe what it is like leaving the place you’ve called home for 3 years and not knowing when you will return. It is hard though. 





I want to thank Sāmoa and all the people I have met for making my experience so special. It wasn’t always easy, but these three years of my life will always have a special place in my heart. 


Fa’afetai mea uma.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your service to the Samoan children and community. You're a special woman and I know they appreciate you and love you. Richard R.

    ReplyDelete