Wednesday, October 31, 2018

On the Hunt for Palolo

Palolo is a delicacy in Sāmoa and sometimes referred to as the caviar of Sāmoa. 


In the last quarter of the moon in October or November, palolo worms reproductive portions are caught along the reef. Sāmoans make homemade nets out of mosquito nets, tree branches, and buckets. They go out into the water to the reef at low tide around 5-6 am to catch palolo. Families either eat it themselves or sell it. The price of palolo is typically a lot.


Catching palolo is a once a year activity that many Sāmoans enjoy. I had the pleasure of going with my family this year to go catch palolo. It is typically a two night event. The first night, no one caught anything as it seemed there were just no palolo. On the second night, there were palolo abound. The experience of getting up so early and going with dozens of Sāmoans to catch palolo was a unique cultural experience I won’t forget. I will not be eating any palolo anytime soon though...


My host mom: "Sana, do you want some palolo?"

Me: "No. I don’t eat worms."

No comments:

Post a Comment