Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Hospitality the Samoan Way


Samoan hospitality is none like I have ever seen before. When it comes to guests at their house, Samoans treat their guests with the highest of respect and show it in so many ways. It has taken me time to get used to this and my host family has adapted to the way I like things as well.

You may be thinking, “Wait…you are living there for 2 years…you’re not a guest!” Well, that may be technically correct, but Samoans don’t see it that way. I am a guest of their home no matter how long I may be staying. It is typical for Samoans to visit their family overseas for months at a time or for family from overseas to come to Samoa for months at a time. Length of time does not determine if you are a guest or not.

Particularly during training, when I lived with a family for 8 weeks, I was treated like the ultimate guest. This was shown through me literally doing nothing for myself. This was extremely difficult for me given that I am such an independent person. I did my own laundry once and my host father was shocked and appalled that I should do it myself. If I went to sit on the floor, I was given a chair and told to sit in the chair. When I had to wear a puletasi for formal events or practice teaching, my host family provided me with one (or about 8).

Hospitality is partially shown through food. All of my meals were provided by my host family and were large. I was given all kinds of different food and when there was something I couldn’t eat (because of my Celiac), they would rush to figure out something else I could eat. Plus, I was constantly given snacks.  A fat guest means that they were well taken care of.


In training, trainees are treated much more like guests than at site because it is a much shorter period of time. This does not mean, however, that when we become volunteers that we become independent people. Of course how each volunteer is treated depends on the family, the volunteer, and the living situation. I know many volunteers whose families do their laundry and clean their rooms for them. This is simply Samoan hospitality.

I, personally, do not have that, but I am perfectly okay with that. My family has allowed me to be more independent for so many reasons. First of all, I have made it pretty clear that I like it that way. Secondly, I live with a very small family so it is not as though there are several children and teenagers in my house to do my laundry and clean my room. This does not mean, however, that I am exempt from Samoan hospitality, particularly from people in the community.

At school, I have had children bring me food, typically coconuts or fruit. Sometimes, teachers will bring or buy me lunch. When we got a new uniform, a teacher sewed my puletasi for me. I’ve been invited in for tea at a person’s home simply because I was running by and this woman knew another volunteer in a different village. At home, I eat first and am given the food that is considered the best of what we have that night (such as this weird looking lobster).

Once, I even got offered a puppy by my family because they could see how much I liked the puppy. I didn’t take it.

With this hospitality, I feel like part of so many families. Samoans have truly made me feel welcome wherever I go.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning how are you?


    My name is Emilio, I am a Spanish boy and I live in a town near to Madrid. I am a very interested person in knowing things so different as the culture, the way of life of the inhabitants of our planet, the fauna, the flora, and the landscapes of all the countries of the world etc. in summary, I am a person that enjoys traveling, learning and respecting people's diversity from all over the world.


    I would love to travel and meet in person all the aspects above mentioned, but unfortunately as this is very expensive and my purchasing power is quite small, so I devised a way to travel with the imagination in every corner of our planet. A few years ago I started a collection of Postcards addressed to me in which my goal was to get at least 1 postcard from each country and territory in the world. This modest goal is feasible to reach in the most part of countries, but unfortunately it’s impossible to achieve in other various territories for several reasons, either because they are countries at war, either because they are countries with extreme poverty or because for whatever reason the postal system is not functioning properly.


    For all this I would ask you one small favour:
    Would you be so kind as to send me a postcard by traditional mail from Samoa? I understand perfectly that you think that your blog is not the appropriate place to ask this, and even, is very probably that you ignore my letter, but I would call your attention to the difficulty involved in getting a postcard from that country, and also I don’t know anyone neither where to write in Samoa in order to complete my collection. a postcard for me is like a little souvenir, like if I have had visited that country with my imagination and at same time, the arrival of the letters from a country is a sign of peace and normality and a original way to promote a country in the world. My postal address is the following one:

    Emilio Fernandez Esteban
    Calle Valencia, 39
    28903 Getafe (Madrid)
    Spain

    I invite you to visit my blog www.postalesenmibuzon.blogspot.com, there you can see the pictures of all the postcards that I have received from all the corners of our planet.


    Finally I would like to thank the attention given to this letter, and whether you can help me or not, I send my best wishes for peace, health and happiness for you, your family and all your dear beings.

    Yours Sincerely

    Emilio Fernandez

    ReplyDelete