Sunday, February 26, 2017

Being in the Peace Corps in Samoa is like…


…being a celebrity. Or what I would imagine being a celebrity would be like. I never was famous in America despite all my effort…

Peace Corps has been in Samoa since 1967. It was one of the first countries the Peace Corps ever went to. Peace Corps has helped Samoa with infrastructure, health, education, and even brought them the flush toilet (thank goodness for that one). Needless to say, it has quite the reputation here. I have even heard older Samoans reminisce about how they had a Peace Corps volunteer (Pisikoa) in their village when they were children.

Because of this amazing reputation that so many volunteers before me have brought, I have the fortune of feeling like a celebrity. It also helps (or doesn’t help, depending on how you look at it) that I stick out like a sore thumb.

I have now been in my village for over 2 months, yet somehow even within the first month, everyone in my village seemed to know my name. This is no easy feat given that I live in one of the larger villages of Samoa. I go for runs and hear people calling my name. “Hi Sana.” “Bye Sana.” I walk through the town and taxi drivers ask, “Sana, do you need a ride?” I walk home from school and every child is outside, waving and yelling, “Bye Sana!” Meanwhile, I wave back and think, “Have I ever even met you?”

This particular aspect of my life in Samoa has positives and negatives. I have gotten a couple free taxi rides thanks to my celebrity status. However, it is really weird to have everyone know my name. I don’t get a lot of quiet if I want to go for a walk.

I am just hoping that my celebrity stays with me just a little when I go back to America. I need to be a washed-up celebrity so I can finally go on Dancing with the Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment