Thursday, January 26, 2017

A Year Ago Today


It was exactly a year ago today that I was applying to join the Peace Corps. At the time, I thought I may get in, but I wasn’t sure. After applying, it was a long road ahead before I even came to Samoa. And it is on this day that I have decided to do a Peace Corps tradition and blog my timeline of application to Samoa.

January 27th, 2016-Applied for Peace Corps
            Under the new application system the Peace Corps implemented, the application became shorter, streamlined, and I got to pick which country I wanted to apply for. I only chose Samoa.
            With the application, I had to also do a health history form, which I completed the same day I submitted my application.

February 11th, 2016- Placed Under Consideration for Peace Corps Samoa
            Essentially this meant they liked my initial application and were considering if my qualifications met the needs of Samoa and would interview me. Or that’s my understanding of this stage.

March 16th, 2016- Invitation for an Interview
            I received an email to arrange a web chat or phone interview.

March 31st, 2016- Interview
            I was scheduled to interview via web chat, but due to technical difficulties did the interview over the phone. At this point I had done research on the typical questions asked and was feeling pretty good about my interview.

Sometime between the interview and my invitation I received a call from a Peace Corps nurse asking about my Celiac disease as it could hinder me from getting medically cleared.

May 5th, 2016- Invitation
            I received my official invitation, but it was contingent on medical and legal clearance.

June 28th, 2016- Legal Clearance Granted
            Of course, this was of no concern to me…I don’t have a criminal record that I know of…

July 6th, 2016- Medical Clearance Granted
            This was the one that I was concerned about. Given that I have Celiac disease, I was afraid I would not get medical clearance. Since I am a healthy Celiac and I have been able to live well with it for the past two years, I was able to get medical clearance.

September 7th, 2016- Flight Scheduled to Staging

September 30th, 2016- Flight to L.A. for Staging

October 2nd, 2016- Flight to Samoa

October 4th, 2016- Arrive in Samoa
            That crazy International Date Line…

December 9th, 2016- Sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer

No comments:

Post a Comment