Friday, September 13, 2019

The Art of the Eyebrows


Every culture has non-verbal ways of communicating. There are universal signs: the middle finger, choking, etc. There are also gestures, body language, and signs that are specific to different cultures. And certain gestures can mean one thing in one culture and a totally different thing in another culture. Living in Samoa for nearly three years has definitely taught me this.

The biggest non-verbal way of communicating in Samoa is through the use of eyebrows. In the states, if someone raised their eyebrows at me, I would assume they are trying to hit on me or they are just being creepy. In Samoa, however, whole conversations can be had through eyebrows. 



Raising your eyebrows in Samoa can mean many things, however, the main thing that it means is “yes”. When asking someone a yes or no question in Samoa, you may get a non-verbal response of just eyebrows, no words. If any sound is included, it is probably just a little grunt of ascension. This was something that took me a while to really have imbedded in my brain. I constantly looked for a verbal response of ioe (yes) or leai (no). Sometimes, the eyebrow raise would be so subtle that I hardly even registered it. Over time, however, I have adjusted to this non-verbal cue. I have actually found myself doing this on several occasions. 



I also use eyebrow raises just to affirm that I am listening to someone and understand what they are saying. I have seen Samoans, however, use their eyebrows to communicate way beyond my understanding. It’s like a second language for them at times.

I have found this non-verbal communication totally fascinating, but I have adapted and assimilated to it. So if you see me in the states and I respond to your question with just a raise of my eyebrows, I am not hitting on you, I am simply answering your question. 


No comments:

Post a Comment